“It’s not a Routemaster, Sir, it’s an RT”
from the 1981-2 television series The Chinese Detective
starring our very own RT1784
Welcome to Pure Nostalgia. You will need to explore this site further to find out just what we get up to with our strange little hobby. You can learn more about “who”, “what”, “where” and “when” below.
You can also tour the site using the menu links above.
So step aboard, explore, and enjoy . . .
Our collection comprises (mainly) London buses which are variously owned and part owned by a group of just three people. Our policy has been, since the first vehicle was purchased in 1983, to have the vehicles operational and working (as far as the law will permit non-PSV licenced buses!) and in that respect we have deliberately avoided the avenue that many have gone down in spending time and money creating a public museum (with all its associated complications).
The vehicles themselves are mostly former London Transport buses dating from the 1950’s, although we do have a pre-war Isle of Wight Dennis Lancet and some smaller vehicles. To many, the London buses must all seem the same but we see detailed variations between the types, and each vehicle has its own personal history of routes worked which so often means something to interested people. Currently we have eight vehicles operational and licensed for use.
Details of the vehicles can be found on other pages at this site. The collection comprises the following vehicles:
- 516 – a 1935 Southern Vectis Dennis single-decker
- RT1784 – a 1950 London Transport double-decker, fitted with an early style of body dating from 1948
- RT4275 – another London double-decker, built in 1953
- RF280 – a 1952 London Transport Green Line coach, later used as a Country Area bus
- RF433 – a 1953 Central Area single-deck bus
- RF453 – another 1953 single-decker, but modified for one-man operation
- HCZ 1850 – our little French Van, ugly but full of character
- OWU 103 – a 1954 Riley car
We do not open to the public – we enjoy bringing the vehicles to you and apart from regular rally attendance, we also sometimes give free rides at running days and other events.
We have a diary of rallies and other events that our vehicles will be attending. Perhaps you would like to come along and see us some time.